06 Mar The Legendary African Buffalo
- Buffalo are good swimmers and will swim through deep waters to find better grazing.
- You will often see little birds on the hides of Cape buffalo. These are call oxpeckers, and they eat the insects and ticks off the buffalo’s skin.
- Lone buffalo bulls are known as ‘daka boys’, due to the mud they coat themselves in to protect their ageing skin (‘daka’ is the Zulu word for mud).
- Cape buffalo are nature’s lawnmowers, grazing on the dense grass and exposing more foliage below.
- It’s been proven that a Cape buffalo has four times the strength of an ox.